Pages

 photo Home_zps4aa68dd3.png  photo About_zps4ea8b15a.png  photo diy_zps098c04ce.png  photo contact_zps20d5d91e.png

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Our First Ever...

Amy Meyer

How long have you volunteered for The I.D.E.A. Store?
2 years
Why did you decide to volunteer?
I had recently quit my job and found myself with a lot of free time on my hands, so I wanted to find somewhere that I could contribute my time. I really enjoyed the idea of The I.D.E.A. Store and am a big believer in keeping items out of the landfill and, at the same time, raising money for the local public schools.
What is your favorite aspect of volunteering here?
I enjoy detail oriented work, which is easy to find in volunteering here. I also love meeting and interacting with children through parties and outreach and, specifically, the ArtSpeak program I am helping with.
Has volunteering here changed the way you live your life in any way?
Ever since I started volunteering here, I have begun collecting stamps and I am able to come up with more creative uses for items and creative activities to do with my niece and nephew. I have started to shop my house more by looking at items differently than their intended use instead of just tossing them out when their original use is over.
Do you have any advice for people looking to volunteer at The I.D.E.A. Store or in their community?
Be sure to find an organization where you feel a personal connection. It is much more beneficial to you and to the organization if you are able to get a sense of commitment and fulfillment out of volunteering. It is also important to be realistic about how much time you want to give and what type of work you think will be best for you. Volunteering should be enjoyable for you, so make it that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment